Thursday, March 1, 2012

From My Sketchbook


I'm interested in the way structure holds memory

A funny thing about this drawing, when I was making it I wasn't thinking about anything out right gory. I was thinking about that feeling that you've outgrown your life, that you're trying to shove yourself into a life you don't fit into anymore, that feeling of being disconnected from your body, and feeling confined by symbolic structures. It wasn't until after I showed the drawing to someone and their reaction was "Oh! That's disturbing," that I realized if viewed literally, it is kind of disturbing.

2 comments:

  1. My initial reaction was that that must be how it feels to have your hands tied, so to speak. You know, like when someone says their hands are tied (not literally)? It felt lonely to me and sort of like she's stuck in life and can't quite get a grasp on moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's pretty close to what I intended with it! It's always cool to hear how others interpret my work.

    ReplyDelete