Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mid-Week Masters: Antony Gormley


 ::image via::
 ::image via::
 ::image via::
 ::image via::
::image via::

Antony Gormley is a long time favorite of mine. Gormley has an incredible ability to draw attention to spaces with his work. His work doesn't just occupy a space, it interacts with it, it make you take notice of the environment his work sits in, and conversely, makes you notice how your own body interacts with the space through his work. I saw Blind Light in a gallery in New York a few years ago and, for me, walking in that space was a truly terrifying experience. I don't think my reaction was the intended reaction, but walking around a bright, opaque box, only able to see about six inches in front of my face, with strangers made me more than a little panicky. Even though my reaction was unpleasant I still think this piece is brilliant because it is so simple, just a fog machine and a glass box, yet it elicited such a visceral response.  

All images via Antony Gormley's website. Please follow the links for individual photo credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment