Sunday, July 3, 2011

An Outfit and a Resolution


Nothing too special about this outfit, but I actually had a spare minute (shock), so I decided to prance around my back yard and take a couple pictures. 

Top: made by me from a New Look pattern. It's a part of my new resolution (see below)
Jeans: Gap (these wide flares feel so good after years in skinny jeans)
Shoes: from a brand called Spring Step (I didn't get a great shot of them, but they kind of look like Swedish Hasbeens. They were way cheaper though. Score.)


Jump shots!


I always intended for fashion to be a part of my blog, but I just couldn't decide in what capacity. A recent look at my closet and my bank account helped me decide how I want to present my personal fashion here on my blog.

First, a little back story. At the yard sale I had last weekend I got rid of a ton of clothes, but somehow all the jackets, sweaters, skirts, jeans etc still in my closet are fighting for space. How could I have gotten rid of so much and still have so much? and why do I still feel the desire for more? I don't know about you, but for me it goes beyond a love of clothes. Which I do, I love clothes. I love putting outfits together, the thought of putting one together helps me get out of bed in the morning (I know, I know, but it's true). I like to shop too, and here's where the problem comes in. I love that feeling you get right after you've found something perfect, but for me that feeling is followed up by a creeping guilt. The guilt comes from (among other things) the fact that even though I love to shop, I don't exactly have the income to support it. When things aren't going great (and, honestly, things haven't been going to great for me lately) we all look for something quick to fix it, to make ourselves feel better. New clothes make me feel better, but only for a while because they don't actually fix the problem.

I have so many things I want to do. I want to travel, I want to go back to school, I want to find a better job, I want to show my artwork. But those things take a lot of work, as well as a lot of money and time. To put it bluntly, I get overwhelmed. And finding something pretty that I can have right now, that will make me feel better right now, has always won in the past.

That brings us to the point of all this thrapudic (and more than a little self indulgent, sorry) rambling. I'm taking a queue from some other projects I've seen going around and officially putting a moratorium on all clothing purchases for six months. I chose six months because I think I can actually last that long. A year seemed like too long, like I would be setting myself up for failure. Six months felt like a good time frame. I did give myself one loophole though. I can have something new as long as I've made it. I have a pile of patterns and fabric I've been meaning to get to, so I'll be taking care of two things with one resolution. So, starting now whenever you see me prancing around in front of the camera I will be wearing something I've made with my very own two hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment