Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Port Gamble: General Store and Museum








When my mom and I took the ferry across the Sound to the peninsula, we drove through a little village called Port Gamble. It is so ridiculously cute and picturesque it looks like a movie set. Port Gamble used to be a logging town (I guess it kind of still is, just not like it used to be) and all the buildings have recently been restored. These photos were taken in the general store/ museum. The second floor of the general store is full of displays of preserved sea life. Occasionally when I travel I come across something so perfect I can't believe it's real. This was one of those things. It was so weird and a little morbid, but lovingly put together. There were jelly fish and eels floating in reused relish jars and black and white shells laid out on construction paper checker boards. There were things in cases and frames and laid out on window sills. Every inch of the place had something. Everything had paper lables, hand typed and then hand taped to the cases. It reminded me of the collections Victorians used to keep. These are just a few of the millions of photos I took. I could have stayed there for hours taking photos, but I think my mom was getting tired of looking at dead things (understandable).

No comments:

Post a Comment